Monday 29 July 2013

@EastKentMum meets Charles & Camilla

Royalty and a Reading Fairy in #Whitstable!

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall came to Whitstable this morning. After visiting the harbour and Whitstable Lifeboat crew (to celebrate their 50th anniversary), they enjoyed stories and activities for local children. It was quite an audience for my first public storytelling session for my new business Reading Fairy. When we sang "12345, Once I caught a fish alive", I was amused when Prince Charles said he recognized it. I snatched a rather cheeky moment to suggest he will probably get to know the rhyme even more now (in his new role as grandfather). I wonder if he and Camilla will sing it to Prince George? Of course they will - it's a classic!

Here I am storytelling with other local mums and friends.
(Thanks Rebecca for the photo!)
The Duchess of Cornwall & charity Beanstalk

I'm delighted that The Duchess of Cornwall took the time to come and hear the stories and rhymes the local children were sharing with me. Singing rhymes and reading to young children is critical in forming a strong foundation for learning to read. As co-founder of new business, Reading Fairy, spreading the word about the importance of learning to read and loving reading is core to our mission. Although we didn't speak about it, I know The Duchess of Cornwall is also passionate about children's reading. She is patron of the charity Beanstalk, which arranges for reading volunteers to go into schools and help children who have fallen behind with their reading.

With 1 in 6 children leaving primary schools in Kent unable to read and write to the required basic level, Beanstalk has launched the "Get Kent Reading" campaign. If you're interested in becoming a reading volunteer locally or want to know how you can fund raise or donate visit BeanstalkCharity.org.uk.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall is patron of BeanstalkCharity.org.uk
Apologies to local families who came for Beach Hut Tales 

I'm really sorry that the Beach Hut Tales were cancelled today between 12-2pm due to circumstances beyond my control. The plan had been to run from the storytelling event at the yacht club to Westbeach for 12-2pm today but there were delays due to the royal visit. I will be storytelling for Reading Fairy at The Beach Hut Tales Tuesday and Wednesday this week and hope to see you there.

Local author Cassie Stafford will be reading from her new book on Thursday and Friday. I hope to see you there (and apologise in person!). Or you may see me and the boys crabbing at around 4 pm today.

No comments:

Post a Comment